We have a commitment to our SCORES™
Action has been certified as a Carbon Negative provider following a Life Cycle Assessment conducted by the University of Wisconsin and Carbon Clear, an international independent auditor of manufacturing carbon profiles. We are the only MFMA-accredited mill to receive this credential. This Carbon Negative certification reflects our sustainability-based manufacturing model, with verified adherence to ISO 14000 series standards (ISO 2015). Our third party-verifiable SCORES program has driven the push for minimizing environmental impact from all aspects of the manufacturing process.
To make sure we stay focused on this important goal, we have developed our own “SCORES” criteria and “SCORES” Card.
SCORES is broken into these key criteria:
Sustainable: Action Floors is committed to managing our resources and minimizing our impact on the ecosystem by following sustainable practices for growing and harvesting lumber while promoting the reuse of our wood fiber waste and reducing our need for fossil fuels for our energy needs. Action Floors also offers the best opportunity for LEED points with our all-natural wood floors and components.
Construction: Action Floors employs the smart use and design of all-natural, recycled, or reduced materials as an integrated design of our products while maximizing
athletic performance and minimizing material use.
Of: We have taken huge steps to reduce construction materials while preserving our world class performance characteristics. Our other leading product lines Action Herculan, Action ReFlex, Action AirRide and Action AirThrust all-natural rubber pads, are just some of our products that confirm our integrated environmental design.
Renewable: This is what defines Action Floors mantra “From the forest to the floor.” The raw materials we use are natural resources that can be renewed, replaced naturally replenished indefinitely.
We are a negative carbon footprint manufacturer as verified by the University of Wisconsin and Carbon Clear.
Engineered: Action Floors’ products are engineered to exceed “real life” high performance requirements and to support Green Building efforts. Our products also adhere to the strictest engineering standards in the industry; MFMA, EN 14904, FIBA, DIN, the World Squash Federation and lumber is Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC) certified by the Rainforest Alliance.
Surfaces: Action Floors’ complete line of attractive, durable and sustainable natural wood and synthetic floors surfaces are designed to ensure that our product life-cycle matches the life-span of the building. This match ultimately equates to fewer and lower quantities of materials being used, less manufacturing, less energy and resources consumed in the recycling process and reduced materials in landfills at the end of the product life-cycle. In addition, structural integrity and versatility are designed into our flooring systems to offer multiple functions. Our portable NitroPanel arena floor can transform a concert into a collegiate, professional, or an array of international games in a matter of hours.
Our Complete List of SCORES Criteria
Sustainable: Establish and follow practices that ensure the continued viability of all resources while preserving them for future generations and having a positive impact on the environment.
- Follows sustainable practices for growing and harvesting lumber.
- Reuses wood fiber waste, reducing the need to use fossil fuels for energy.
- Takes a proactive role in reducing its carbon footprint and searching for new solutions to achieve a carbon neutral profile.
- Supports the reduction of Greenhouse Gas Emissions by enhancing the natural carbon sequestration that takes place in well-managed forests.
- Follows a credible climate change and carbon strategy with fact-based and independently verifiable carbon management performance criteria.
- Offers the “greenest” polyurethane floor in the U.S. market. (Action Herculan™ synthetic floors feature an exclusive water-based non-toxic top coat with low volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Action Herculan meets the most stringent emissions requirements with the utilization of non-petroleum plant-based oils for production.)
- Lumber is Forest Stewardship Council certified.
- Supports daily efforts of the forest products industry and federal and state forest agencies to plant more than 1.5 billion more trees.
- Uses natural resources from well-managed forests in close proximity to its headquarters.
- Uses eco-friendly natural rubber pads in floor systems. Natural rubber components come from highly sustainable rubber trees grown on plantations that yield a high volume of rubber and wood per unit area in a relatively short period of time while simultaneously re-growing other plant stock.
- Recycles and reuses rubber in other products. (Action ReFlex® multi-purpose floors and 100% solvent free water-based Action Herculan urethane floor use recycled and reused rubber in its subfloor.)
Construction: Design and construct environmentally-friendly products that deliver strength and durability for athletic performance through the use of resourceful design innovations, premium materials and manufacturing technologies.
- Integrates the Smart use of all-natural, recycled or reduced materials into the design of our products. (Herculan, ReFlex, AirRide, and AirThrust all-natural rubber pads are just some of Action’s products that confirm our integrated environmental design.)
- Employs Smart-design engineering strategies to ensure the use of only those materials that are absolutely necessary for structural integrity, longevity and performance.
- Provides high value with construction processes that match product life-cycles to the life-cycles of the building or project.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuous product quality improvement through affiliations with the MFMA, FIBA, World Squash Federation and the American Sports Builders Association.
- Has earned product certifications through EN 14904 and DIN.
Renewable: Use resources that can be renewed or replaced indefinitely or naturally replenished.
- Makes wise use of wood, the only natural resource on Earth that is at once renewable, recyclable, biodegradable and re-usable. (Energy required to grow raw materials is free.)
- Striving for a complete zero waste facility that ensures 100% material utilization and efficiency in the production and delivery of finished goods and through the selling of reclaimed materials to other manufacturers.
- Minimizes transportation and infrastructure expenses to reduce energy and production costs and to reduce fossil fuel emissions.
- Converts unusable production wood into fuel that helps reduce carbon footprint, electricity costs, and fossil fuel emissions.
- Invests one million dollars in a high efficiency wood-fired boiler system virtually eliminating the need for natural gas and saving enough energy to heat nearly 700 homes.
- Offers synthetic sports floors that utilize recycled rubber products. (Action Reflex Flooring and Action Herculan Synthetic Floors use recycled rubber.)
- Supplies subfloor systems that are ureaformaldehyde free, uses recycled wood in the plywood and uses recycled steel components.
- Uses only all natural rubber pads that come from a sustainable source that will not harden or deteriorate over time.
- Ensures that energy needed to manufacture rubber pads is approximately one quarter of that required for other EPDM and urethane pads. (Action Air Thrust® pads meet this criterion.)
Engineered: Engineer products that exceed “real life” high performance requirements, support Green Building efforts and adhere to the strictest standards in the industry. Including: MFMA, EN 14904, FIBA, DIN, the World Squash Federation and lumber FSC certified by the Rainforest Alliance.
- Contributes to the accumulation of LEED points by providing wood and components that have been FSC certified through the Rainforest Alliance.
- Meets specific performance criteria by designing floors that have been certified for EN 14904, DIN and FIBA and that comply with the standards of MFMA and the World Squash Federation.
- Provides floors that have earned a worldwide reputation for excellent engineering and exceptional performance.
- Introduces innovative floor systems that deliver exacting tolerances while offering new standards for performance and aesthetics. (Action Floor’s NitroPanel® portable floor system delivers exacting tolerances and unmatched looks and performance.)
- Creates flooring that eliminates waste wood and has a longer life because the tighter tolerances translate into less sanding. (Action Floor’s LL Long Length flooring requires less labor and time for installation and offers a more affordable floor for customers.)
- Preserves a time-tested flooring manufacturing process by using only 25/32” thick flooring for superior longevity, durability and system integrity. (Maple flooring products that are only ½” thick have been proven inferior by the U.S. Department of Agricultures Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. Some of the limitations of the thinner flooring include higher sensitivity to small climate changes within buildings, not being structurally sufficient for large loads and premature breakage of a smaller tongue and groove profile.)
Surfaces: Design and manufacture a complete line of attractive, durable and sustainable surfaces that effectively meet the needs of any facility or activity.
- Creates surfaces that match the product life-cycle with the life-span of the building. This match ultimately equates to fewer and lower quantities of materials being used, less manufacturing, less energy and resources consumed in the recycling process and reduced materials in landfills at the end of the product life-cycle.
- Optimizes facility utilization by manufacturing surfaces that provide versatility and structural integrity for multiple uses. (For example, Action Floor’s portable NitroPanel arena floor can transform a concert into a collegiate, professional, or an array of international games in a matter of hours.)
- Promotes the beauty of nature by offerings beautiful American northern maple wood derived from renewable natural resources.
- Provides environmentally friendly synthetic surfaces. (Action Floor’s Herculan synthetic floors feature an exclusive water-based non-toxic top coat with low volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Creates products to help protect and sustain the primary flooring product. (Action Floor’s seamless AirRide® Floor Cover System protects the customer’s flooring investment. AirRide contains absolutely no Phthalate, a product that has been proven to be harmful to children.)